Friday, September 21, 2012

Auburn Football Tailgate Birthday Party

We had a wonderful time at my son's first birthday party!
I know my son will have no recollection of this party, but, as an event planner and craft-a-holic, 
there's no way I could pass up this opportunity to throw a memorable event!

I hope these decor ideas and DIY crafts inspire you to throw your own amazing party! 
And, if you're not inspired, you can just call me to host the party for you;)


I had a free set of return address labels with Shutterfly, so I added my son's picture 
(in his Auburn shirt!!) to the label and coordinated with orange and white font!
I ordered the invitations from Dovetail Designs on Etsy. She was so easy to work with!

It's pretty impossible to find an inexpensive numeral candle that coordinates with an Auburn football party. I'd seen some folks on Pinterest decorate candles with glitter and sequins. So, I took that inspiration and painted a "1" candle orange and blue and outlined it in white!

I love this timeline that shows our son's growth over the course of one year! 
I painted a piece of craft wood (purchased at Hobby Lobby), glued ribbons to the back, 
attached photos to the ribbons, then put football stickers (purchased at Hobby Lobby) 
on each picture with the coordinating month. 

I followed this tutorial (with a little bit of variation) to make a fun high chair banner!


I wanted to do a photo booth, but I wasn't quite sure about the setup. When I saw that the room had a tree in the corner, I thought it'd be fun to roll with toilet paper and turn into Toomer's Corner! 
We had a prop box with a shaker, foam fingers, and a football and a hardback football notebook ($1 at Michael's). The frame instructs guests to "GRAB A PROP AND SMILE BIG, THEN LEAVE A NOTE FOR THE BIRTHDAY KID."

I saw a bunch of goal posts online but had no idea how to construct one for a centerpiece. Thankfully, my personal architect (i.e. my husband) knew exactly how to make one (PVC pipes & duct tape)!
I painted a cardboard "1" to look like a football and hot glued it to the goal post. It still needed a little something, so I added two strands of paper garland that I'd made for the windows & photo booth.
I used astroturf (from Lowe's) for the table cover and dollar store vases with football sweatbands around them to hold the silverware.

I wanted all of the food to have a fun football/Auburn name. Surprisingly, I couldn't find a whole lot of ideas online, so I googled "football terms" and decided to come up with my own! Here they are:
"Blindside" BBQ Chicken Sandwiches | "Punt"ato Salad | Cheesy "Deadball" Dip with Ritz Crackers |  "Touchdown" Tortilla Chips with Salsa | Veggie "Tackle" Tray | "Blitz" Brownies | "Comeback" Cupcakes | "Bodda Getta" Buttercream Mints

This was the start of the food tables. There's a picture of my son in an Auburn frame, this fun WAR EAGLE plaque that my awesome friend Courtney let me borrow, football playing cards (yes, those little footballs are actually playing cards!), hand sanitizer (I covered the bottle with football looking paper), and football plates & napkins (from Costco). Also, I found the orange fabric in the scrap bin at Hobby Lobby for $1.50!

 I put Auburn shakers into tall cylindrical glass vases for centerpieces.

 Here's a view from outside of the party room. The balloons (Party City) helped fill an empty corner.

I hope you got inspired to start planning for your next party!











Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Did you just paint the candle with regular paint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimberly, I used blue & orange acrylic paint that I had on hand. I outlined the candle with white fabric (puff) paint. Hope that helps!

      Delete